Prius PHEV TechInfo
Technical information on the PRIUS useful when designing a conversion.
This is the original 4-door sedan:
- 1997 Japan only release, chassis NHW10 (Gen 1)
- 2000 worldwide release, chassis NHW11 (Sometimes also called Gen 1, sometimes Gen 2)
This is the 5-door hatchback, sometimes called Gen 2, sometimes called Gen 3:
- 2003 worldwide release, chassis NHW20.
Reconnecting traction battery
- When working on the HV, remove the orange Service Plug on left end of the battery pack
- After plugging the orange Service Plug back in:
- Make sure to slide the Service Plug's handle all the way down. If you don't do this, you can't put the car in "Ready"
- Disconnect the negative of the 12 V battery for 10 s, reconnect. If you don't do this step, the /!\ symbol will appear on the dashboard, and the car with an explamation point will appear in the Multi-Function Display:
- Calibrate the "Auto" function of the driver's window. If you don't do this, you can't open or close the window all the way with the Auto switch.
- Open window half-way
- Pull and hold window switch up until window is all the way up, and hold an additional 1 second or more
Cabling to traction battery
The harness to the traction battery has 3 tails, each with a connector
- To Battery ECU - power, communication, fan control
- To the orange Service Plug - to detect if the Service Plug is fully plugged-in
- To the System Relays - to drive the relays that connect the traction battery to the inverter
Battery ECU (electronic Control Unit)
- Gnd - to chassis
- AM - 12 V, always on, for memory retention
- IGCT - 12 V when the car is in the "READY" mode
- IG - 12 V when ignition is on
- CANH - CAN bus High
- CANL - CAN bus Low
- VM - monitors fan voltage, 2 to 12 V
- SI - variable duty cycle (PWM) square wave to control fan speed
- FCTL1 - drives the relay which in turn powers the fan
Service Plug sensor.
Two pins. Shorted when the Service Plug is fully plugged-in
- System relay 1 (precharge resistor)
- System relay 2 (traction pack +, bypassing precharge resistor)
- System relay 3 (traction pack -)