Jump to navigation Jump to search
Air pollution from burning of fossil fuels causes health problems, acid rain, and climate change.
- Clean Air in London Campaigning to achieve urgently and sustainably compliance with World Health Organisation guidelines for air quality throughout London
- Controlling Air Pollution from Motor Vehicles - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation "Motor vehicles are significant sources of pollution that can damage the environment and pose public health issues. ... Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and hydrocarbons are released when fuel is burned in an internal combustion engine and when air/fuel residuals are emitted through the vehicle tailpipe. ... The pollutants in vehicle emissions are known to damage lung tissue, and can lead to and aggravate respiratory diseases, such as asthma. Motor vehicle pollution also contributes to the formation of acid rain and adds to the greenhouse gases that cause climate change."
- Vehicles, Air Pollution, and Human Health - Union of Concerned Scientists "Nearly one half of all Americans — an estimated 150 million — live in areas that don’t meet federal air quality standards. Passenger vehicles and heavy-duty trucks are the main sources of this pollution, which includes ozone, particulate matter, and other smog-forming emissions."
- air pollution - YouTube search See the latest videos.
- Chai Jing's review: Under the Dome – Investigating China’s Smog 柴静雾霾调查：穹顶之下 - YouTube 01march2015 "Former celebrity TV anchor Chai Jing ... launched this 1 hour 40 minute documentary about China’s smog: what is smog? Where does it come from? What do we do from here?"
- Prenatal Exposure to Pollutants May Spell Trouble for Kids - WebMD 25march2015 "Exposure to common air pollutants before birth may make children more likely to have the symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and other thinking and behavioral problems, a small new study suggests."
- French government launches new law allowing it to ban half the private cars in Paris - The Independent 22march2015 "The government has triggered a pollution control law which allows it to ban half the private cars in the greater Paris area. ... The law, first triggered last year, allows the government to limit traffic if micro-particles in the atmosphere rise above 50 microgrammes a cubic metre."
- Air pollution: What Delhi can learn from Beijing - hindustantimes 11march2015 "The problem is worst in northern China, where air pollution mainly caused by decades of reliance on coal has lowered life expectancy by an estimated 5.5 years ... Los Angeles was like Beijing and Delhi in 1948 with smog gripping the city almost every third day."
- Will Smog in China Spur Climate Solutions? - Energy Institute at Haas, UC Berkeley 21april2014 "A soupy smog of particulates, ozone, sulfur and nitrogen oxides hangs over Beijing, Tianjin and other northern cities. ... the lifespans of people who live in these cities fall. The primary culprits for much of the air pollution are the coal-fired power plants, which produce roughly 80 percent of China’s electricity." AAFrank comment 03july2014 "Solutions ... renewable electric energy ... electrical energy storage ... use fossil material to make replacements for wood ... replant the forests ...plug-in hybrid electric cars ... biofuel "