Difference between revisions of "History"
|Line 33:||Line 33:|
===Dr. Andrew Frank===
===Dr. Andrew Frank===
[[Dr. Andrew Frank]]
=== PlugInPartners ===
=== PlugInPartners ===
Revision as of 11:28, 10 March 2006
- 1 Toyota Prius PHEVs
- 2 PHEV Proponents
- 3 Other PHEVs
- 4 News Articles
The SEVA:EAA is also working on instructions to help guide experienced EV Converters through the process. The project has rescently moved to it's own site here. See Prius PHEV and PriusPlus for content which has moved from the Seattle Chapters site.
Production Hybrids such as the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius may turn out to be the missing link of vehicles, as they are solely gas fueled car that do electric tricks, they are not Electric Cars, rather than a way to transition away from gasoline they are merely a way to slightly reduce consumption. It's the transitioning away from gas as a fuel source which should really be a major priority for everyone. As the president says "America is addicted to oil", Plug-In Hybrids may be a big part of the solution.
Hybrid Conversions or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) are hybrid cars that can use gas or electricity as sources of fuel, they can plug-in to fuel up with gas or electricity. These are usually hybrids which are modified, but might also include EV's with pusher or genset range extending trailers. The PHEV designation may also be found with a number denoting their electric-only range, such as PHEV-10 (for 10 miles of electric range) or PHEV-300 (In the case of the 300 mile SEVA:Tzero EV with its gas fueled range trailer).
Toyota Prius PHEVs
There have been a number of sucessful Prius Plus conversions. Ron of CalCars has a PbA version and EDrive is expected to use Valance Li-ion batteries to perform conversions with ideal range. Both are based on the 2004 or newer (Gen2) Toyota Prius and are now capable of charging from the grid using standard 120vac outlets. They can operate as pure EV's at speeds up to 34mph for the range of their larger batteries, which is about 10 miles for the PbA and 30 miles for the Li-ion battery packs. While also delivering vastly improved mileage at higher speeds in an EV-Heavy type of Mixed-mode which delivers roughly twice the gas mileage durring trips of twice their electric ranges (or 20 and 60 miles). Of course one should also consider the electric power required to recharge in these 100+ mpg situations (<$1 per gallon equivalent). During extended drives they operate just as a normal Prius and deliver their usual mileage.
CalCars & PriusPlus
- http://www.hybridcars.com/blogs/power -- Power, Plugs and People
PHEV Conversions from EDrive
PHEV Kits from Hymotion
Dr. Andrew Frank
See Dr. Andrew Frank
- http://www.pluginpartners.com -- A market for PHEVs exists today!
- http://www.SetAmericaFree.org -- energy security via plug-in hybrids
- http://www.SecureEnergy.org -- Oil Crisis Simulations lead to PHEVs
- http://www.PlugInAustin.org -- local campaign soon to go national
- http://www.PlugInAmerica.com -- promoting all-electric and PHEVs
- March 2005 - Gas Optional Vehicles: Austin Energy Charges Ahead resolution [No. 050303-48]
- http://www.ncwctc.com/205.html -- Port of Chelan County, Wa Advanced Vehicle Initiative.
- http://jumpstartford.com -- Today, Ford vehicles waste more gas than any others.
- http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/hev/plugins.html - National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- http://hybridconsortium.org/news/video/index.html - Will consumers plug in? Consumer Response.
- Interview with members of the new Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle Consortium.
I'm aware of a few other people who have added additional battery capacity to Prii, although they did not grid-recharge, those projects are rather close to becomming PHEV projects.
- Wayne Brown ( ev-button discovery, extra batteries, no plug-in )
- Much thanks to Wayne for discovering and then sharing his discovery of how to install the ev-button at Yahoo in Feb of 2004. He also shared with us some interesting technical info regarding the effects of the ev-mode, "136 Amps (136 Amps X 202 VDC = 27.4 KW = 36.7 Horsepower)" vs "45-50 Amps (10 kW or 13 Horsepower)" in stealth mode (non ev-button electric mode). Wayne was doing a lot of work with additional battery capacity tie-ins. He wrapps it up here, Button Part Number, 31% gain, re-enable confirmation, more details, BMS details, some speculation, 7.5ah aux battery.
The SEVA:Tzero is an all electric vehicle sports ev with 300 miles of range. Though it can also function as a PHEV at about 30mpg on gas utilizing it's gas powered range extending trailer. In which case it becomes a PHEV-300 with unlimited gas range.
DaimlerChrysler Sprinter Van
DaimlerChrysler announced a PHEV-20 Sprinter van at the HanoverTruck Show in Sept. 2004. It will have a 15kWh advanced Lithium-ion battery and 120hp continuous (280hp peak) electric motor.
Insight & M I M A
Moved to Insight PHEV
Hybrid Truck Project
An interesting projects to convert an existing Hybrid commuter bus into a PHEV Recreational Vehicle.
Prof Jim Burns
- SDSU L3 Prof Jim Burns- Diesel Plugin Hybrid
This doesn't look like it pluggs in?
See also News
- State of the Union - What Bush Should be Saying. 
- alternet.org Car Owners in the Driver's Seat
- evworld.com Plug in my hybrid car? Why, you ask?
- Yahoo PriusPlus - Jul 1, 2004
- Yahoo Gridable- Hybrids - Sep 15, 2003