Current W:Hybrid vehicles (HEV) such as the Honda Insight, Toyota Prius, and W:other hybrid vehicles are unfortunately not W:Battery electric vehicles (BEV), as they can not use W:electricity as an external fuel source. Rather they are gas cars with some electric car tricks, but not the most important ability of not using gasoline as W:fuel. So such vehicles may prove to become the missing links in the History of transportation. The efficiency advantage of W:electric motors and W:batteries are diminished with the requirement of burning W:combustables with an onboard W:heat engine. Better it would be, to more fully utilize the W:waste heat from traditional local power W:cogeneration plants. With an eye towards W:wind, W:solar, and other W:sustainable resources which will make BEVs cleaner as they age. Rather than transitioning from gasoline current hybrids are merely a way to reduce (slightly) consumption of finite W:fossil fuels. It's the versatility of using traditional combustion and an array of electric fuel sources which makes Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) such an attractive solution which could be easily achieved today with off the shelf technologies. As the president said in his 2005 State of the Union address "America is addicted to oil", BEVs and PHEVs are critical to solutions capable of more than doubling transportation efficiency and eliminating vehicle CO2 emissions for most trips. Since currently no production PHEVs exist, Hybrid Conversions are modified production vehicles with larger batteries and chargers.
Hybrids can be classified as Series Hybrids like diesel locomotives, very heavy machinery, and EV's with pushers or on board generators; Parallel Hybrids such as the Honda's IMA; and Series-Parallel Hybrids like Toyota's HSD, Ford's Ford Hybrid System W:Ford Escape Hybrid, and General Motors and DaimlerChrysler's AHS2.
|Current Production Hybrid include|
|Year||Make and Model||PHEV Versions|
|2000||Honda Insight||Insight PHEV ideas|
|2002||Honda Civic Hybrid||none yet|
|2005||Honda Accord Hybrid||none yet|
|2000||Toyota Prius||none yet|
|2004||Toyota Prius||Prius PHEV|
|2006||Toyota Camry Hybrid||none yet|
|2005||Toyota Highlander Hybrid||none yet|
|2005||Lexus RX 400h||none yet|
|2005||Ford Escape Hybrid||Escape PHEV Ford is talking about it!|
|2006||Mercury Mariner Hybrid||none yet|
|2006||Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid||maybe never, it's a Mild hybrid|
|2006||Lexus GS 450h||It's got the electric motor for it!|
- Honda Sales
- 2007 Honda Fit Hybrid treehugger.com
- 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid - Details on the early 2007 Altima HEV launch are forthcoming Altima hybrid in ’07
- 2008 Lexus LS 600h
- PSA Peugeot Citroen Diesel Hybrid - by 2010
- ? Hino Hybrid Trucks - Tractor Trucks
- ? GM commuter buses 
- DARPA 1993-1998, DOD 1999- HummVee Hybrid - evworld.com, HyHMMWV.pdf, army.mil, electrifyingtimes, mit.edu_fish2001a.pdf, google
- Hybrid HEMIT 
- Allison Transmission parallel hybrid system
- Went into mass production in October 2003 with 400 systems on the road in the US and Canada.
- WikiPedia:Hybrid vehicle - WikiPedia:List of hybrid vehicles
- http://www.ctts.nrel.gov/analysis/hev_test/data.shtml - Hybrid Electric Vehicle Testing (Insight and Prius)
- hybrid engineering report pdf
- http://www.hybridfest.com - Midwest Hybridfest 2006 - A Hybrid Electric Car Show and More!
- Hybrid Cost Calculators -  , 
- 2006.06.01 - The Hybrid Challenge Engineers are scrambling to drive down redundant costs.
- 2006.05.31 - pcmag.com - Hybrid Myths Debunked
Emergency Response Safety
- Toyota Prius G1 Prius G2
- Ford 
- 2006.05.29 - A scarlet 'H'?: Got a hybrid car? It may electrocute firefighters
- 2006.05.27 Rescuers training for electrical risks linked to hybrids
- LA County EV & Hybrid Vehicle Hazards
- Bad Press ( “At this point, it’s totally overemphasized as a hazard” )
- The Gridable_Maillist: or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gridable-hybrids
- The PriusPlus_Maillist: or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/priusplus
- Our EAA-PHEV_Maillist: or http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eaa-phev
- January 11, 2006 - Sea Lion Gives New Hybrid Cars His Seal Of Approval video
- Hybrid Taxes uschamber.com
- 2005.11.25 - Yahoo Prius-2G Chamber Suggests Taxing Hybrids and Billing Drivers By the Mile
- 2005.11.26 - EVDL Extra TAX on High-Mileage Hybrids ?? WHAT !!
- 2005.11.25 - mercurynews.com Report suggests taxing hybrids, billing drivers by mile
- 2005.08.23 - cnn.com Cars with electric appeal - Video
- 2005.08.23 - wusatv.com - Blast Columnist For Remarks On Emergency Crews, Hybrid Vehicles Y
- In reference to Brock Yates, Hybrid issues, and a rising star at Indy.
- 2005.08.21 - delawareonline.com More drivers turning to hybrid options