Honda Hybrids are Series Hybrids which at first glance wouldn't seem to benefit much from a PHEV conversion as they don't have an EV-mode like the Toyota Prius. However by charging a larger battery the 10kW IMA could most likely be run in assist mode to displace gas consumption and push the mileage (in the case of the Insight) way up into the 100's on the freeway! It's a very light and aerodynamic vehicle which makes it rather attractive for conversion. Of course, untill someone actually tries it we can't say for sure how well it would work...
PHEV Insight via MIMA
There is a MIMA Manual IMA (Intigrated Motor Assist) control project which provides manual control over the IMA (Assist/Regen) on the Honda Insight. While not a PHEV project it might make it possible to utilize additional battery capacity in a Mixed-mode similar to the Prius at high speeds.
- http://pages.cthome.net/genesisone/MIMA.htm - Project home page
- Discussion at InsightCentral.net
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2471 - Hybrid controls and the MIMA project
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3176 - Mima Statue Update
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3233 - MIMA L works in a CVT
- (automatic circuitry with foot pedal) (Moderators note: the newest version of MIMA is CVT compatable)
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3353 - MIMA Display and Joystick Housings
- http://pages.cthome.net/genesisone/index.htm - The developers site is here
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3349&start=15 - The purchase thread is here
- Its a complex topic and modification. And one that should be carefully reviewed if your deciding on purchase.
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3357 - The subject is still open for discussion at the developers selected for consolidation thread here
- 2005.10.09 - evworld article
Series-Parallel Insight Conversion
A local SEVA member is also working on a sort of odd Insight conversion, which is comming along rather slowly. See Ryan's PHEV Insight Project.
Swarthmore College Hybrid Electric Vehicle Team
This is a very similar project to Ryans Series-Parallel project. It is not based on the Honda Insight, but they are using e-tek motors.
Insight EV Conversion
Gary Graunke of Hillsboro, Oregon has converted his "Out-a-sight" Insight to Electric! He is using a Metric Mind Siemens 5105WS12 AC Motor, Siemens AC SIMOVERT 6SV short inverter, and the original manual transmission without the clutch. The battery pack was originally (168V) fourteen 12v 38Ah Hawker Genesis and now consists of (309V) eighty-six ThunderSky 90AH 3.6V LiIon cells, charged with a Manzanita Micro PFC50 10KW. His range was 20 miles with 9 year old Hawkers and should be 230 miles with the LiIon. Curb Weight is 2100 pounds from the original 1850. Technically this should appear on the SEVA:Conversions page.
- IMA - Intigrated Motor Assist
- MIMA - Manual IMA
- The end of the road for the Insight? Gen2 Insight Ideas!