Honda Hybrids are Series Hybrids which at first glance wouldn't seem to benefit much from a PHEV conversion as they don't have an EV-mode like the Toyota Prius. However by charging a larger battery the 10kW IMA could most likely be run in assist mode to displace gas consumption and push the mileage (in the case of the Insight) way up into the 100's on the freeway! It's a very light and aerodynamic vehicle which makes it rather attractive for conversion. Of course, untill someone actually tries it we can't say for sure how well it would work...
There is a MIMA Manual IMA (Intigrated Motor Assist) control project which provides manual control over the IMA (Assist/Regen) on the Honda Insight. While not a PHEV project it might make it possible to utilize additional battery capacity in a Mixed-mode similar to the Prius at high speeds.
- http://pages.cthome.net/genesisone/MIMA.htm - Project home page
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2471 - Hybrid controls and the MIMA project
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3176 - Mima Statue Update
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3233 - MIMA L works in a CVT
- (automatic circuitry with foot pedal) (Moderators note: the newest version of MIMA is CVT compatable)
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3353 - MIMA Display and Joystick Housings
- http://pages.cthome.net/genesisone/index.htm - The developers site is here
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3349&start=15 - The purchase thread is here
- Its a complex topic and modification. And one that should be carefully reviewed if your deciding on purchase.
- http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3357 - The subject is still open for discussion at the developers selected for consolidation thread here
A local SEVA member is also working on a sort of odd Insight conversion, which is comming along rather slowly. See Ryan's PHEV Insight Project.
- IMA - Intigrated Motor Assist
- MIMA - Manual IMA
- The end of the road for the Insight? Gen2 Insight Ideas!