PHEVLER (i.e. Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Long Electric Range; pronounced "fevler") is a new subcategory developing among the electric vehicles. A PHEVLER is defined as a PHEV with battery capacity enough for all electric driving of double the average daily driving distance. In the USA the average daily driving distance is 30 to 35 miles, so the 2016 Chevrolet Volt with an electric range of 53 miles is the first commercial car to (almost) qualify as a PHEVLER.
Their long electric range plus more driving range using liquid fuel enables the dual fuel PHEVLERs to provide outstanding value to the drivers and to the fueling systems that support them. The long electric range enables PHEVLERs to accomplish most of their daily driving distance on most days using only electric fuel. PHEVLERs (and the PHEVs with shorter electric range) eliminate the range anxiety that can be a problem for battery electric vehicles (BEVs), making the PHEVLERs ideal for both short distance and long distance travel. PHEVLERs are especially useful for vehicle-grid-integration to balance the electric power grid and to redistribute the energy from intermittent renewable energy sources such as wind and solar.
PHEVLERs will be ZERO net CO2 vehicles when fueled exclusively with renewable electricity and advanced biofuel. Biofuel will have a carbon footprint of zero when sunlight, biofuel and renewable electricity are the only energy inputs used for growth, production and delivery of the biofuel (i.e. zero fossil fuel used). PHEVLERs would average about 90% electric fuel and 10% biofuel consumption, making them ideal vehicles to help eliminate fossil fuel use in transportation.
- Frank, Andrew A., Bruce R. Thomas, Catherine J. DeMauro (2016) PHEVLERs are the Zero CO2 Clean Green Machines of the Future. Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California, Davis.
- Sweet Bliss, Another EV Acronym To Remember: PHEVLER - Long Range Plug-In Hybrid - InsideEVs 22april2016
- PHEVLERs are the Zero CO2 Clean Green Machines of the Future — Green Car Congress – INCOENERGY Renováveis SA
- The smart grid meets smart car - combining electric vehicles with solar energy and wind energy - Andy Frank at Efficient Drivetrains Inc. on Facebook 22march2016
- Using the fleet of plug-in hybrid electric vehicles with long electric range PHEVLER - YouTube 28feb2016
- DeMauro, Catherine J. J. and Andrew A. Frank (2016) Using the Fleet of Long Range Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles. Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California, Davis, Presentation Series UCD-ITS-PS-16-02
- PHEVLERs are the Zero CO2 Clean Green Machines of the Future - My Nissan Leaf Forum
- What's Better Long Range BEV or Extended Range EV? - gm-volt.com forum
- PHEV-LERs are the Zero CO2 Clean Green Machines of the Future - Google Groups Seattle EV Association