Inaugural Maker Faire
See #Post EVent for links to photos and comments from the EVent!
Many thanks to the Maker Faire Team for making this conversion possible!
- 1 O'Reilly and Make
- 2 Event Preperation
- 3 EVent Schedule
- 4 Documentation
- 5 Presentations
- 6 Post EVent
- 7 Post Conversion Events
Join us at the Inaugural Maker Faire, April 22-23, 2006, San Mateo Fairgrounds, California. There we will be converting a stock Toyota Prius Hybrid into a Plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). Make is a celebration of all things do-it-yourself, and we're absolutely ecstatic to participate in this event! As is the case with the first PriusPlus and due to the DIY nature of the project we intend to always provide a drive-home mode for extreme debugging, until our conversions are essentially as reliable as the original car. After the faire we anticipate a period of fine tuning not only of the car but also of our Prius PHEV documentation.
- When: Saturday, April 22, 2006 (10am - 6pm), Sunday, April 23, 2006 (10am - 5pm)
- Where: The San Mateo Fairgrounds, 2495 South Delaware Street, San Mateo, CA
- Admission: $12/Adult; $5/Teens; $25/Family; Under 12 free
- http://www.makezine.com/faire & calcars@faire
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eaa-phev/message/73 & EAA-PHEV_Maillist:2006./3./0
- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/calcars-news/message/316 & CalCars_Maillist:2006./3./2  
O'Reilly and Make
O'Reilly Media is the premier information source for leading-edge computer technologies. The company's books, conferences, and web sites bring to light the knowledge of technology innovators. O'Reilly books, known for the animals on their covers, occupy a treasured place on the shelves of the developers building the next generation of software. O'Reilly conferences and summits bring alpha geeks and forward-thinking business leaders together to shape the revolutionary ideas that spark new industries. From the Internet to XML, open source, .NET, Java, and web services, O'Reilly puts technologies on the map. http://www.oreilly.com
We have a big job ahead in preparing for the two day conversion. We realize that people are rightly getting enthusiastic about the event, however we need to make sure that people have realistic expectations.
The MakerFaire car and our initial documentation and recommended components will initially specify lead-acid batteries -- low cost, but heavy and large. We hope to be able to locate a supplier of better Ni-MH or Li-Ion batteries, but can't say when we'll succeed. So for now, anyone attempting to complete this type of conversion with lead-acid will be left with a vehicle with the following characteristics:
- 10 mile low-speed electric-only range, 20-mile Mixed-mode half-electric/half-gasoline range, your mileage may vary.
- Battery warming may be helpfull or required in areas with cold climates. In ambient temperatures of 50 deg F or lower and low states of charge (SOC), and in lower temperatures at any SOC, potential errors (due to high battery internal resistance) may cause the car to stop running. It is highly recommended that the OEM battery be used in such conditions.
- Approximately 200-cycle full discharge life (in a year, you may need to replace batteries at a cost of up to $1,000). Your performance will vary based on battery quality, depth of discharge, and many other factors.
- Net weight increase of 300 pounds (assuming you keep existing battery in place, which we highly recommend)
- Because of the additional weight, slightly reduced rear-window visibility, some additional load on rear shock absorbers (until we develop a source for heavy-duty springs), possibly slightly poorer road handling (equivalent to keeping a 300 lb load in the cargo area), and reduced remaining load capacity.
- Due to the additional weight and the simultaneously marginal performance of the lead-acid battery, city-driving mileage may decrease by 10% when electricity is not used to offset some of the gasoline consumption.
Tentetive plans for the road trip and conversion.
Thursday April 20
- <12am - Morning Departure Photo-Op.
- 11pm - Leave Seattle.
Friday April 21
The Drive is 813 miles and about 14 to 16 hours. Leaving around 11pm on Thursday April 20th gets us there about 3pm on Friday the 21st. maps.google route
- Meet up with the crew for dinner, movie, and gameplan discussions.
- Drop car off at Fairgrounds in the evening, Expo is open from 11am - 7pm on Friday.
Saturday April 22
- 7:30am - Open for setup
- 10am - Gates open
- 11am - Begin installation
- Front: Dash teardown and fake CAN-View and other LV control wireing installation since it's already installed
- Rear: HV Disconnect and dissassembly
- Outside: Cut and assemble battery rack components, may need pre-cut rack parts
- 12am - Continue tasks
- Rear: HV crimping (borrow professional crimper, may demonstrate hammer crimper
- 1 pm - Finish tasks
- Front: Finish with front and re-assemble internal body pannels
- Rear: Finish wiring HV contactors
- Outside: Finish battery rack
- 2 pm - Lunch
- 3 pm - Install HV and LV circuits
- 4 pm - Install and secure batteries into rack
- 5 pm - Install interconnects, charger, and test, test, test!
- 6 pm - Evening Festivities begin
- 9 pm - Gates close
- 11:30 pm - Tear down
Sunday, April 23
- 7:30am - Open for setup
- 10am - Gates open
- 11am - Finish the conversion & start giving people rides perhaps?
- 12am -
- 1 pm -
- 2 pm - Recharge and Lunch, then start giving more rides
- 3 pm -
- 4 pm -
- 5 pm - Compile initial drive data. Gates close
- 6 pm - tear down booth
Monday, April 24
Depart before 4pm in order to arrive back in Seattle by 8am Tuesday, rest and freshen up.
Tuesday, April 25
- 8:00-12:00 am - "Arrive" back from the trip before noon for another Kodak moment.
These are some of the things we might want to do in order to enhance the documentation process.
- Component Photos
- Participant Photos and Bios
- Write in updates to hard copies of instructions and parts lists
- Video interviews
- Multiple time laps video
- (2second frames at 30 second interval on 60 minute tape equals 15 hours of recording).
- Hatch mounted camera looking down into rear end, frame bumper to rear seat.
- Windshield mounted camera, looking through from outside at dash into rear, lay down seats.
- Wandering guy(s) taking closeups and comments from visitors
- Bring your video stabalizer thingee if you've got one.
- Ryan is filming the trip down-and-back (same timelaps as above).
- We'll also be filmed by Chris Baldwin of Shoulder High Productions
- Audio descriptions of individule tasks for voice overs.
- Long Play Audio recording of the play by play to capture any choice spontanious commentary.
Things that we might want to bring along to display durring the conversion.
EAA Chapter, CalCars, PlugInPartners
CAN-View, Charger, Batteries
CalCars talking points, etc, ...
EAA, CalCars, Maybe sell some?
(need power, not just to charge)
- Ryan has 19" LCD and computer system for EV/PHEV videos, PPT presentations, of perhaps the website.
- Maybe power up the Prius 12v system and play videos on the MFD screen from external composite video source.
- Felix Kramer - BETTAH Prize; Bush in Sacramento, CalCars_Maillist:2006./4./15
- Felix Kramer - Maker Faire Day 3: We Have Liftoff!, CalCars_Maillist:2006./4./18
- Jerry Pohorsky - Photoshow 1, Photoshow 2, Photoshow 3
- Amanda Kovattana Make Faire Plug-in Prius Demo
Post Conversion Events
These are events which we hope to be attending durring the first month following the conversion. These and future events will be posted at the SEVA:Current events page once they are finalized.
Weekend, April 29-30
SEVA:EVents 2006 04 29 - We will be attending the UW EE Centennial Celebration Events.
Saturday, May 6
SEVA:EVents 2006 05 06 - We will be at the 8th Annual Lacy Alternative Fuel Fair and Electric Car Races
Monday, May 8
SEVA:EVents 2006 05 08 - We will be show and telling at the Port of Chelan County AVI Tech Group meeting
Saturday, May 13
SEVA:EVents 2006 05 13 - Citizens for Rideable Communities - PHEV Appearance in Port Townsend.
Thursday June, 1
Apollo Alliance has a tentative conference June 1st on the East-side which we might attend.