Burning petroleum to fuel our vehicles produces carbon dioxide CO2 greenhouse gas pollution that is contributing to the problem of global climate change (global warming).
 News Sources
- climate change "electric vehicle" - Google News
- Environment | EV News Report
- Environmental News Network - Climate
- ScienceDaily: Earth & Climate News
- 2013.08.11 - Areas of Sacramento will be inundated as sea rises over the years, study says - Sacramento Bee "A rising sea level due to climate change is expected to dramatically alter the future landscape of many of the world's coastal areas around the world. A new study shows that the largest U.S. cities highly threatened by future sea level rise are Miami, Virginia Beach, Va., Jacksonville, Fla., and Sacramento."
- 2013.06.25 - Obama on Climate Change: Don't Fear the Future, Seize It - PBS NewsHour Obama's plan aims to tackle increasing greenhouse gas emissions while preparing communities for the impacts of a warming planet, severe storms and sea-level rise.
- 2012.12.03 - Helping Electric Vehicle Drivers Plug In - Ontario government "Ontario is helping electric car owners install charging stations at their homes and businesses to encourage sustainable transportation and fight climate change."
- 2012.06.00 - State of CHARGE - Union of Concerned Scientists "The pollutant emissions from our vehicles contribute to unhealthy air and global climate change. As the search for oil moves to more remote and difficult-to-access locations, the risk of serious accidents increases, as demonstrated by the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. And defending our access to oil is a great burden to our nation’s finances, our military men and women, and their families. Vehicles powered by electricity have the potential to reduce many of these problems. In most places, electric drive lowers the smog-forming and global warming pollution associated with vehicle use, and when powered by renewable resources, electric vehicles can nearly eliminate such pollution from vehicular operation. Electric vehicles powered by a clean electricity grid offer a key pathway to achieving the greater than 80 percent reduction in global warming pollution we need by mid-century to avoid the worst consequences of climate change."
- 2012.00.00 - Electric Vehicle Technology and Climate Change - Southern California Edison "California data indicates that the transportation sector is the single largest contributor of greenhouse gases in the state, producing nearly 40% of all such emissions. Electric-drive technologies ... can reduce greenhouse gas emissions"
- Electric Vehicles & Climate Change | www.builtbymichigan.org
- Electric Vehicles | Tackling climate change | WWF Scotland
- [http://climaterealityproject.org/ Climate Reality Project "The Climate Reality Project is dedicated to unleashing a global cultural movement demanding action on the climate crisis."
- Committed to Environmental Protection - Southern California Edison Environmental Commitment, Smart Grid, Electric Cars, Power Generation, Renewable Energy, Transmission Projects
- Climate Change and Transportation - State of California "Transportation accounts for more than 36% of the state's greenhouse gas emissions, the largest of any sector. The strategies to reduce emissions from this sector include reducing the carbon intensity of fuels, reducing the emissions from passenger vehicles and goods movement"
- Strategic Plan - California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Collaborative "With an eager consumer base, ongoing technology and policy leadership, and a clean electricity grid, California is well positioned to provide a leading example of successful plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) market growth for other regions to follow. Such a transition can help bring energy security, air quality, climate change, public health, and economic benefits to California."
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle Dialogue - Center for Climate and Energy Solutions "Plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs) are a transformative technology – offering a way to reduce America’s reliance on imported oil, combat rising gas prices, improve local air quality, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions."
- Electric Cars & Vans - UK Committee on Climate Change "further reductions in CO2 emissions from cars and vans can only be achieved with alternative powertrain technologies; either electric vehicles or hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Of the latter, electric vehicles, including battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) are available on the UK car and van markets, (while) hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCVs) are still some way from commercialisation."
- Electric Vehicles - Business Council on Climate Change "The Business Council on Climate Change and Bay Area Council jointly present a new guide to accelerate the deployment of electric vehicles and infrastructure in the Bay Area by providing businesses with easy-to-follow steps to become EV Ready."