In the future "smart" electrical grids will both charge our electric vehicles and occasionally use some of the power stored in the vehicles to help maintain the stability of the electrical grid. This vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology will help reduce the occurrence of electrical brownouts and blackouts.
- 2012.09.25 - Detroit Leading U.S. Development of New Vehicle-to-Grid Technology | Xconomy
- 2012.06.00 - Will V2G Help Prove Plug-ins More Viable? - Efficient Drivetrains "High battery cost is the main barrier to wide spread adoption of electric vehicles. But what if the battery could not only power a vehicle but also provide power back to a building or the electric grid? That would drastically alter the economics of electric vehicles. The technology to do that - known as vehicle to grid or V2G - exists."
- 2011.10.27 - V2G Technology: Electric Cars Become Power-Grid Batteries - Scientific American Blog Network
- 2009.06.26 - V2G Will Be Calling on Commuters - Pike Research "One of the potentially most beneficial aspects of vehicle to grid (V2G) applications is that electric and plug-in hybrid vehicle batteries could delivery power to the grid during peak times and draw power when it is not in demand."
- 2008.09.05 - Report from the Trenches: "Beyond Oil" Conference in Redmond, Wash. - AutoObserver "... our next president's playbook has to be filled with more than just a slew of new federal funding programs for PHEVs and vehicle-to-grid (V2G) and vehicle-to-house (V2H) technologies. During his luncheon address on day one, Andy Frank, a UC Davis Professor and one of the fathers of the electric vehicle "movement," made a passionate plea for a new kind of public-private partnership. We should all be asking ourselves these big questions: What's the useful role of government (beyond being a 'market-maker' that becomes the largest single first-mover customer for new technologies by acquiring them for the federal vehicle fleet)?"
- 2008.03.17 - What’s a “Smart Grid” and why’s it coming to Boulder, Colorado?
- 2007.12.27 - How Electric Cars Could Save the Grid. Interesting video about linear motor in a water park ride.
- 2007.09.12 - PG&E and Tesla to Research Smart Recharging Vehicle-to-Grid Technology
- 2007.07.00 - Carbon-Free and Nuclear-Free: A Roadmap for U.S. Energy Policy (download e-book). Examines the technical and economic feasibility of achieving a U.S. economy with zero-CO2 emissions without nuclear power.
- 2005.06.06 - Seattle Vehicle to Grid Symposium
- 2003.03.02 - Andy Frank's Plugged-in Vision - evworld "... when coupled with a bidirectional, vehicle-to-grid (V2G) charging system that enables the power company to pull power out of vehicle batteries during peak load times, the cost of electricity will drop even further because now the fleet of PIHEVs become peak shaving devices. As EV World has suggested in the past in interviews with other V2G proponents, there is the distinct possibility that the power company will even pay car owners for the use of this energy, turning a historically depreciating asset into a potential income generating asset. Suddenly PIHEVs with V2G capabilities look even more attractive!"
- 2007.08.21 - V2G vehicle to grid potential
- 2007.06.15 - Google.org RechargeIT: Plug-in Hybrids
- Vehicle-to-grid - YouTube