Dr. Andrew Frank
Professor Andy Frank at University of California, Davis and his Team FATE students have been engineering advanced vehicle technologies since 1971. Andy is widely recognized as the father of the modern plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). These are also sometimes called Extended Range Electric Vehicle (EREV) or Range Extended Electric Vehicle (REEV). See PHEV Definitions.
Replacing our gasoline-powered vehicles with electric-powered vehicles will become necessary as we pass beyond the era of peak oil production. Use of electric vehicles will reduce our need for increasingly expensive imported crude oil and will allow our vehicles to be fueled with clean, green, renewable electricity from local power sources such as wind and solar. Dr. Frank was also an early advocate for vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology which will enable the electric cars to provide an additional benefit by helping to stabilize our electrical smart grid. These characteristics make PHEVs ideal as our vehicles of the future.
Andy is currently designing and marketing continuously variable drivetrains for EVs as Chief Technology Officer for Efficient Drivetrains Inc (EDI). Simplified low cost PHEVs engineered by EDI have reached parity with the costs of internal combustion engine vehicles of comparable size and performance.
Andy advocates building more Level 1 EV charging stations as the most efficient and lowest cost method for promoting greater adoption of electric vehicles throughout society.
 Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV)
- 2007 - conversion of an 8 ton delivery step van for the US Air Force to a PHEV.
- 2005 - Trinity - 2006 Chevy Equinox, participating in the Challenge X competition. Trinity video 1 Trinity video 2.
- 2002 - Yosemite - 2002 Ford Explorer converted to a battery dominant hybrid electric vehicle.
- 2000 - Sequoia - 2000 Chevrolet Suburban with a Parallel Hybrid Powertrain. Sequoia video.
- 1998 - Coulomb - hybrid-electric Mercury Sable AIV. Coulomb video.
- 1997 - Joule - 1996 Ford Taurus converted to a hybrid electric vehicle.
- 1993 - AfterShock - "Ground-up" hybrid electric vehicle.
- 1991 - Side F/X- Super mileage vehicle at 3313 MPG on Gasoline.
- 1991 - Shamu- Super mileage vehicle at 2200 mpg on M85 (methanol/gasoline mix).
- 1979 - Flywheel drive Ford Pinto - Flywheel hybrid with a Continuously Variable Transmission, CVT.
- 1971 - Urban car Contest " ground-up" Hybrid Electric Vehicle.
 Andy at Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
Andy Frank at the Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. (EDI) Research, Development & Demonstration Center in Dixon, California working with fellow employees to construct the latest plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV a.k.a. REEV or EREV). Andy and his team of coworkers at EDI are working to apply this hybrid electric vehicle technology to personal and commercial vehicles of all sizes.
The PHEV truck prototype demonstrates EDI's capability to construct a modern PHEV with currently available automotive qualified components to exceed driveability and durability requirements expected of the industry. The prototype vehicle is expected to achieve 1/2 the fuel consumption and have better performance than the conventional vehicle. At the same time this PHEV truck will be able to drive the first 50 km or more on electricity alone thus saving 70% to 80% of the gasoline used annually by the conventional vehicle of the same size and performance.
 Father of the Modern PHEV Award - Dr. Andy Frank & Team Fate
In 2004 the Electric Auto Association Keith Crock Award was presented to Dr. Andy Frank & Team FATE for outstanding contributions to electric transportation as the modern day father of the Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV).
 See also
- Why Vehicles Need to use Electricity
- Andrew A. Frank publications - Google Scholar profile
- Andrew A. Frank publications - ResearchGate
- Dr. Andy Frank on Davis wiki
- Andy's videos, Andy's video playlists
 Dr. Andy Frank in the News
- 2014.07.01 - CNG-PHEV dual fuel electric vehicles will be produced by my company Efficient Drivetrains Inc and our partners
- 2013.11.26 - SAE-China Congress & Exhibition in Beijing - Sessions on New Technology and Products
- 2013.10.02 - The Cutting Edge – A Look at the Next Era of Advanced Technologies - Session A6 - Plug-In 2013 Conference. An "outside the box" discussion of advanced and future plug-in vehicle technologies and an exploration of the full potential of electric vehicles
- 2013.09.19 - Lowering the cost of Electric Plug-In Hybrid-Electric Drivetrains in Light- to Heavy-Duty Vehicles - Electric & Hybrid Vehicle Technology Expo
- 2012.11.19 - 2013 Ford C-Max Energi Quick Drive - Automotive News 19nov2012 "To call Dr. Andrew Frank a true believer in plug-in hybrids is an understatement. The UC Davis professor has been studying plug-in hybrid technology since the 1970s, and at a roundtable organized by Ford at the introduction of the 2013 Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid, he was happy to tell anybody willing to listen–and several who weren’t–that plug-in hybrids aren’t transitioning us to a future of fully electric vehicles. They are the future."
- 2012.08.16 - Andy Frank talks China EV policy - ChinaEV Blog
- 2012.summer UC Davis Alums Drive "clean" vehicle breakthroughs - Engineering UC Davis Magazine - summer 2012 pdf
- 2012.04.04 - How the father of plug-in hybrids still has a race to finish - Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos
- 2011.06.24 - A Fifteen Year Roadmap Toward Complete Energy Sustainability - EUEC Blog
- 2011.06.21 - Hall of Fame: Dr. Andrew Frank Hailed as “Father of the Hybrid” - My Perfect Automobile
- 2011.06.13 - Andy Frank honored by Automotive News on its Electrifying 100 List
- 2011.02.23 - CalCars.org Drives a Victory Lap in the new Chevy Volt - SustainabilityMedia
- 2011.01.05 - Electric Vehicle Milestone for California Pioneers - San Jose Future Transportation - Examiner.com
- 2010.09.13 - The EV is dead. Long live the PHEV-10 - Barrytech - Seeking Alpha
- 2009.06.25 - EVs Can Cut Cost of Mass Transit - matternetwork
- 2008.00.00 - Plug-in Hybrid Drivers are Charged Up | Clean Fleet Report
- 2007.05.16 - Professor Andrew A. Frank speaking at Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association
- 2007.02.23 - Frank Talk and Fresh Air
- 2006.05.18 - New Super-Efficient Plug-in Hybrid Unveiled
- 2006.03.03 - Plug-In Hybrids: The New Focus for the Future of Transportation - RenewableEnergyWorld Andy Frank sums up the benefits and status of PHEVs. "the Plug-In Hybrid can use as much as 90% of their driving energy from electricity using the currently available electric sources already in our society" "In addition, the vehicles can be charged directly from .. wind and Solar systems" renewable energy. The remaining 10% of their driving energy could be provided by renewable liquid biofuels delivered by our existing pipeline and gas station network. "The PHEV allows us to immediately transition from our dependence on oil for transportation to one where we can begin to transition to cleaner and more efficient electricity without a need for new infrastructure."
- 2006.01.13 - Detroit 2006: Is the Market Schizophrenic, or Changing?
- 2005.12.12 - Lithium Technology Supplies Li-Ion for Two Challenge X Vehicles, One a Plug-In Hybrid
- 2005.08.23 - 250 MPG